Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mending holes in Jeans

I've always struggled doing this until recently. I just discovered how to do mend the holes in jeans that doesn't require a patch on the front. I probably should use a patch on the back while I mend the holes but I've done over 10 pairs already and I personally don't want to. There are sites with better methods and instructions but I'm just telling you how I do them. To do this take out your sewing machine manual. I always keep mine next to my machine. I cant remember all the width, length , etc you need to put your machine in for those special stitches. I used my Singer machine to do the mending. 1.First cut out the frays and strings from the hole. Try to have matching thread in your bobbin and needle. 2. Put your sewing machine on a zig zag stitch. The stitch length should be 1 or lower. The width should be wide. Now place the tear, right side up, under the presser foot. Stitch over the line of the tear, shortening stitch length at each end for reinforcement. 3.Now that my hole is closed and proceed to use a darning stitch. First you need to switch your foot. A darning foot is used by quilters to get those lovely designs on top of quilts. Its a free motion stitch on your machine. Darning foot http://learnhowtoquilt.com/darningft.html How to use a darning foot click on movie- http://www.singerco.com/support/presser_help.html Kelly Hogaboom has a great blog on this http://kelly.hogaboom.org/tutorials/2007/06/darn-it.html 4. Okay after visiting those sites I think you have the idea. Anyway, after I cover my feed dogs(you might have a switch to lower them) place the tear part right side up, under the presser foot and lower the foot. Now stitch left to right to left -up and down until the entire area is filled in. Here's another link to how to darn holes in fabric http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_sewing_tips_techniques/article/0,1789,HGTV_3336_1393081,00.html Well I hope that helps you in at least trying. It takes practice-really. I mend my kids jeans all the time but this method, for me, is the best one. I think I will put up a another one and try the patch. Well, there's always just cutting the legs off and turning them into shorts.

No comments: