Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sewing Room Organization Part 9-Organizing Fabric



This is the way I keep my fabric. Folded on  boards is so much neater and easier to see and use. I used to have it all folded. As you can see from the pictures below.


This way was awful especially the brocade fabric. It would pull out more than I wanted and dump half of the pile everywhere. It sucked. The brocade fabric was put in a see through container.

Other fabrics like my flannel for my cloth diapers are put in rubber maids facing up so I can all the prints. Some of my other fabric is also in these clear containers including my Halloween and Super Hero fabric. Ideas on how to organize using containers check out Fabric Therapy here

The Little Green Bean shows you how to cut the foam board for fabric  here

How to fold it on the foam board From Molly and Maddie's here

There are many other ways to store fabric but this is how I do it and it works for me.
Previous blog about fabric stashes here

Update
since we have such a problem in Maine with mice and squirrels, I had to put my fabric in containers so they couldn't get into them. I actually had to put everything in containers because mice were so bad this year for everyone. The local hardware store was selling out of mouse traps. I had to put many other things in rubbermaids cause I couldn't keep them out even with 5 electronic mouse traps. The traps worked fantastic but so many out there.
https://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Maine-Residents-Are-Rats-on-the-Rise-497062091.html



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just reading this and wanted to offer what I did on the suggestion of a friend. I don't tell many people this cuz yuk! My sewing room is an area my husband built for me in the pole barn. Needless to say, right after the fields are cut and the weather turns cold, I struggle with mice and can't leave anything out. My friend suggested I put moth balls out to deter mice. It has WORKED! And I hope I have not jinxed myself now! The smell is tolerable but I don't care---all winter and no mice!