Sunday, September 14, 2008

Patchwork Coin Skirt

Project Level:Advance
 Project List: Lots of scrap fabric
Trim, coins, buttons and most of all Patience

 I had this idea of combinning lots of colors into a skirt. (Oh yes, another scrap fabric skirt coming soon) I had lots of fabric scraps but yes, I did have to buy more fabric but just enough to have three patches of each color. My fabric patches are about 4 inches by 4 inches. I used yellow, orange, red, burgundy, purple, blue, turquoise, green and dark greens.

 I would sew each piece side by side then serge them after. After my row of yellow was done I would cut out of black brocade (about 4 inches wide) and sew that on. I did this with each color so the black brocade would make the each row of color pop. I sewed my patch work tiers in 3 colors. You make these rows like you make any tiered skirt. So for every 3 colors(yellow,orange, red) was combine as one tier after they are all sewed together with the brocade, then the middle(burgundy,purple, blue) was another tier and last(turguiose, green and dark green) was the last tier.

Before sewing the skirt together at the side I first added trim to a couple of tiers and then hand sewed Turkoman buttons and Kuchi coins. I then used a pattern to cut out a wide waist band and added a zipper at the side. I also used an idea from Simplicity pattern 9966 of hiking the skirt up at the front. Picture of my skirt hiked

 Picture of pattern

 You can do this by sewing 24-27 inches of trim, ribbon or any other type of trim on the front (two of them on the front and two right in back), this is how you get that gathered look on the front. Yes, the skirt is a little bit heavy from the hardware and fabric but nothing that couldn't stop me from dancing in it.
This skirt was used for my Pirate Belly Dancer costume.

to a tutorial of a patchwork skirt@ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46671.0
another pattern Native American@ http://www.swdecoratives.com/ranchtoo.html
This type of skirt could also be used for a Can Can Dancer type of skirt, (maybe just sticking to a couple of colors only and adding lots of lace) or anything else you could think of. Mon, November 6, 2006

No comments: