Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day of the Dead Head Pieces

As you can see one of the head pieces has skeleton hands.

You can see the stems in this picture of the feather and flowers. This is all glued on.


Project Level : Easy
Project List:
1.Flowers
2.Skulls(Halloween is the best time to get stuff like this)
3.Feathers(Fishing stores)
4.French barrette(Jo Ann Fabrics)
5.Small pieces of fabric
6.Batting-warm and natural
7.Aleene's glue
8.Cardboard
9.Clamps(picture below)

I wanted to make a cool head piece or pieces for my Halloween Costume.
I cut out two oval 3 inch card board pieces.
I then cut 2 pieces of the warm type of batting used for quilts(warm and natural batting) and glued first the batting then the fabric to the cardboard. The batting is to make the cardboard stiffer for all the items that are going to be glued onto it. 
I used clamps(like the photo above)to make sure everything stayed glued on both sides. I then glued the french barrettes on the back.
I waited 24 hrs for everything to dry.

The next day I cut out the flowers and added glue to the stems then clamped them. One flower on first and then I glued the feather stem. Then I glued the other flower. I used clamps on the flowers and feather.
I waited a few hours before I glued on the skulls. I did paint my skulls to look like the sugar skulls before I glued them on but thats an extra thing to do . You don't have to do it.

Photo of my Costume.

You could add tulle,lace and any other things. I didn't have enough time to do all the things I wanted to. I might be adding stuff to it later.

Places to get feathers:
Fishing stores-they sell lots of different kinds of feathers
I got mine at LL Bean in Freeport
I have previous blogs for online sites for feathers
The Feather Store-here
Fancy Feather-here
Etsy store Plumule-here
Coquettishly Adorned-here

Vendors of Awesome Skull/Goth/Day of the Dead Head pieces
Stix and Jones
Jammer Designz
Artisans a GoGo
The LA Shoppe-here
Star Rose Creations-here
Another Dancing Skull-here

No comments: